Thursday, September 19, 2019

News Flash! Michael Gillette the Courier to Arrive in Uganda Monday!

We are so excited!

Everything is having a happy ending. Stated differently, "for we know all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purposes."

Last week I contacted my Audiologist, Donna Eskwitt, at the Riverside Medical Clinic (she is wonderful) to tell her the story of our break in. One of the things that was taken was my sound processor. It might be a surprise to many that I am deaf on my left side as a result of treatment for Meniere's Disease. One very nice thing that improved the quality of my life immensely was the bone implant conduction surgery developed by Cochlear (Here is a link to more information Cochlear Americas). The system has two parts. The first is the titanium post which was implanted into my skull (Hey, this was not taken during the robbery).  (That is supposed to be a joke). 2) The second is the sound processor which attaches to the post. The sound processor, also known as a BAHA, was in my purse which was stolen. Without it, I can't hear sounds on my left side.

After contacting Donna at about 11:30 a.m. on Monday the 9th of September (did I mention that Donna is amazing?) she swung into action, calling Cochlear. She found out that the warranty had expired one day after the break in, so the BAHA could be replaced. She filled out paperwork, emailed it to me, and filed the claim to receive the new BAHA that same day. She also convinced Cochlear to overnight the BAHA to her. Tuesday she programmed it for me based on my records and packaged it up for shipping via Federal Express. When have you heard of such speedy response from a medical care professional? (Did I mention that Donna is incredible? )

This is where the story bogs down. Things continued to be pushed along by Donna, a fantastic professional, She coordinated with FedEx to deliver a package to us in Gulu. It was coming down to finding the elusive storefront that was supposed to receive packages from FedEx versus shipping it to Kampala, the capital city which is located a good 6 hours away. Jeff and I had some interesting interactions with shop keepers here in Gulu trying to explain what FedEx is. Not one of the-20- some thing shop owners had ever heard of something called a FedEx. So it seemed that shipping to Kampala and having them hold the package for me until I was able to get there would be way to go.

But wait, there is more!

Meanwhile, the Outreach Department at The Grove Community church was also trying to find a way to get things to us, including a replacement for my stolen computer. A team of staff members, including Andy Gibeault, Crystal Niermann, Joe Hobbs, and Adam McIntyre (did I mention how outstandingly creative they are?) were brainstorming to find a solution. They had the idea of sending someone to deliver things to us. After calculating costs, finding a super low fare available for use in doing humanitarian work, and looking at other logistics, they determined that sending a someone from church was the best option. (Did I mention that the Outreach department is made up of amazingly clever people?).

Now it all boiled down to this: who was available to come to Uganda on short notice? This person must have had the required yellow-fever immunization which is in short supply. He/she must also not mind the long 2 day trip each way, and be flexible with respect to logistics on the Uganda side of the ocean. Here enters another hero of my story - Michael Gillette. Michael is a college-aged man who has been to Uganda on short term mission treks twice during high school, and was available for just the right time period before beginning a new job on October 2. Besides, Michael loves Uganda and has a true servant's heart. (Did I mention that Michael is a remarkable young man?)

Once the decision was made to send Michael, I went onto Amazon and, using some of the money that had been donated by kindhearted and generous friends to help us, ordered some things to replace other items that had been stolen.

My sister, Ginny Scarbrough, (yes, another stupendous human being) ran around in the heat wave collecting glasses, the sound processor, and other important things we absolutely needed. These included a jumbo sized bag of chocolate chips because my "baked in a frying pan" cookies are such a hit over here. Kari Gillette (who happens to be incredible) told me that there were a few people who wanted to know what they could send to us, so I can't wait to see what arrives. (Did I mention that I know some of the most remarkable people alive?)

Meanwhile,  my son, Jacob, (a young man who is second to none -- yes, I agree that I am a little bit partial, but I know that everyone else who knows him believes the same way) ordered a new computer for me. He was a wise shopper and found what is almost never heard of - a $300 off sale on an Apple computer. Amazing. He is also coordinating the receipt of all of the things that will be delivered, and making sure that they are ready to be picked up Saturday afternoon by Andy Gibeault (you know it already, an incredibly compassionate man).

From there, Michael will leave Sunday morning from Riverside and we will meet him Monday night in Kampala. Sigh.

It is 2:00 a.m. Uganda time and sleep eludes me. I keep thinking of all the things that are falling into place, all the people who have worked so hard to make this happen, and how fortunate I am to be surrounded by people who are willing to put so much time and effort into something to help us out. Unworthy, yet loved. People showing up to be the hands and feet of Jesus. People who care. I am blessed.

Thank you,




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog